May 18, 2016 – Orlando was ranked the #4 best city for summer jobs this year. The tourism industry creates many seasonal job opportunities for those willing to seek them out. Veritas Recruiting Group was on Fox 35 this morning discussing the different types of summer jobs available here in Central Florida and which jobs are geared more for high school and college students versus adults.
For adults, seasonal summer jobs can be a great way to get your foot in the door with a company and impress them with your work ethic. For students, summer time in Central Florida is a fantastic time to make money and get work experience to put on the resume.
Summer Job Search Tips:
- Start looking now. Don’t wait till school is out to start looking for your summer job.
- Treat application forms like resumes. Be detailed when you fill out an application…fill it out completely and accurately. Don’t lie. Have someone else proofread it before you submit the application and take extra applications in case you make a mistake.
- Look everywhere and apply for multiple positions.
- When you do find a summer job, work it with the dedication and effort that will make the employer want to invite you back next summer.
Where to find summer jobs:
- Previous summer employers
- Family or family friend’s business
- With your friends that have already lined up summer jobs that might need more people.
- School career centers
- Temp agencies and CareerSourceCentralFlorida.com
- Restaurant and store windows (Help Wanted signs)
- Shopping Malls
- Churches with a public bulletin board
- Google – search “summer jobs”
- Twitter accounts that list summer jobs
- Facebook groups and pages
- Classified ads on job boards (CareerBuilder, Monster, OrlandoJobs, Craigslist, etc)
- Newspaper articles about companies that are hiring
Businesses that experience a hiring boom during summertime:
- Theme Parks
- Water Parks
- State Parks & Campgrounds
- Other tourism jobs: guides, trip organizers, greeters, guards, museums
- Drivers: Uber & Lyft
- Golf courses, Tennis Courts (anywhere people pay to play sports)
- Stadiums and other sporting event facilities
- Hotels & motels
- Restaurants & fast food
- Bars & nightclubs
- Movie Theaters
- Summer Camps
- Summer schools
- Lifeguards at community pools/beaches/gyms/camps
- Beaches – selling t-shirts, etc
- Ice Cream shops and outdoor cafes
- Mother’s helpers and au-pairs
- Babysitting as daycare centers close
- Pet-sitting & house-sitting as neighbors go on vacation
- Call Centers
- Internships at corporate offices
- Software Testing (Quality Assurance) & summer projects at tech companies